Saturday, June 14, 2014

June 14, 2014: More on Goal-Setting and Getting Motivated

June 14, 2014: More on Goal-Setting and Getting Motivated

Hello Friends,

 My last blog talked a lot about what I do to get motivated, and I'm still thinking about this.  So let's get started on some research, shall we?

Here is a great article that indicates some steps to take to be more motivated:

http://zenhabits.net/get-off-your-butt-16-ways-to-get-motivated-when-youre-in-a-slump/

I like, specifically, what the author says about people finding inspiration from other people.  This applies to my life for sure.  I also appreciate the his idea on writing a goal, or making signs, and posting them in  places you see every day.  My brother had a door-to-door sales job one summer where his business associates encouraged each other by having them decorate their cars on the inside with sticky notes that have positive messages.  His car was full of motivating messages like "You can do it!"  "This will not be the last opportunity you have today," etc.

Here is also a link to an article I found in the online version of Shape magazine.  This article gives many good ideas and tips to get motivated that are specific to leading a healthier lifestyle.  However, my least favorite suggestion in this article is to "give yourself a short two-three day break from your diet," and it's the first step.  To me, this provides an "out" to those who are looking for one.  Isn't the idea to motivate people to stay on their diet??  I don't think that's the key. However, maybe to give yourself an one-hour break, but for me this would be like skipping a bar and having a piece of pizza (with soaking up all the yucky oily fat on the top with a napkin of course), and then having a lighter dinner in the afternoon.  http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/22-ways-stay-motivated-lose-weight/slide/22

I've been thinking as we have these conversations, I should include my meal plan so you know how insane I have been for the last twelve weeks.  This is my daily meal plan:

Morning Breakfast:  1 non-fat yogurt (I usually choose Yoplait), 1 serving of fruit (for me this is usually  1/2 of a grapefruit, 3/4 c berries, or a small peach w/ 1/4 c berries depending what's in season), and 1-2 Decaf cups of coffee

Bar at about 10:00am  (familybariatric.com)

Lunch:  1 serving of a very lean meat (chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, etc.), with 2 cups of either raw or cooked veggies.  My veggie preferences also vary with seasons, but I almost always choose green veggies that are made mostly of water. For example, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, rutabaga, or asparagus.  A friend of mine on the same diet as I often cooks cabbage, puts a little salt and pepper on it, and eats this as her serving of veggies. I tried this....it's okay, but not my preference.  Whatever floats your boat.

Bar at about 2:30-3pm (familybariatric.com)

Dinner:  1 serving of red meat (deck-of-cards size), and 2 more cups of veggies cooked or raw.

8PM- Shake/Pudding (Puddings can be made by the shake mix. I love this, and use this perk almost exclusively.  These are also found at familybariatric.com)

Originally, I directed by my coach to eat two cups of raw veggies, and two cups of cooked veggies per day to get the most nutrients.  This didn't work out for me. I got very tired very fast of raw veggies for lunch all the time.  Now I change it up a lot more, and don't pay as close attention to raw/cooked as I used to in the beginning.


Well, this is my blog for the day.  Hope you see you back on Happy Monday!  Have a great weekend.

Rachael


No comments:

Post a Comment